William H. Welch

William H. Welch, M. D. (1850-1934) was the first Professor of Pathology and the first Dean of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In 1916, with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation he established, and was again the first Dean of, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health (now the Bloomberg School of Public Health).

Upon his retirement from that position at the age of 76, Dr. Welch continued his life-time dedication to Johns Hopkins University by planning his two final contributions to the institution: a medical library to serve the hospital and the schools of medicine, nursing and public health; and a new center for medical history teaching, research and publication.

In establishing the Department of the History of Medicine at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Welch sought to provide a humanistic component to the cutting-edge medical and public health education and research enterprise that he had helped create.